ASHRAE installed its 2018-2019 president, executive committee officers and directors during its Annual Conference in Houston.
The 2018-2019 president for ASHRAE is Shelia J. Hayter, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE. During her inaugural presidential address, Hayter announced the theme during her term, Building Our New Energy Future. The theme focuses on the role buildings will play in our energy future as the electrical grid continues to evolve toward a smart grid with advances in renewable energy.
“ASHRAE is eager to establish new networks and partnerships as we expand its opportunities to engage the industry sectors that have a stake in our energy future,” says Hayter. “We will strengthen our leadership position by serving as a bridge that connects buildings, energy and the environment to new ideas and technologies to advance toward a more sustainable world for future generations.”
While serving as the ASHRAE president, Hayter will continue her role as a group manager with the Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in Golden, Colo. She will also serve as chair of ASHRAE’s Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
Elected officers who will serve one-year terms are as follows:
- President-Elect: Darryl K. Boyce, P.Eng., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, assistant vice president, facilities management and planning, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Treasurer: Charles E. Gulledge III, P.E., Member ASHRAE, HBPD, senior mechanical engineer, Environmental Air Systems LLC, High Point, N.C.
- Vice President: Julia A. Keen, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, BEAP, HBDP, professor, Architectural Engineering & Construction Science Department, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kan.
- Vice President: Malcom Dennis Knight, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, BEMP, owner, Whole Building Systems LLC, Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
- Vice President: Michael C. A. Schwedler, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, applications engineering manager, Trane, La Crosse, Wis.
- Vice President: Farooq Mehboob, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, principal consultant, S. Mehboob & Co. Consulting Engineers, Karachi, Pakistan
ASHRAE also introduced its newest directors who will serve three-year terms from 2018-21:
- Region I Director and Regional Chair: Christopher G. Phelan, manager of engineered services, Thermco, Clifton, N.J.
- Region II Director and Regional Chair: Jeff Clarke, CEO, Enviroair Industries Inc., Mont-Royal, Quebec
- Region III Director and Regional Chair: Dunstan Laurence Macauley III, HBDP, senior associate, WSP, Fairfax, Va.
- Region XI Director and Regional Chair: Russell J. Lavitt, P.Eng., senior mechanical engineer, Stantec, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Region at Large Director and Regional Chair: Ahmed Alaa Eldin Mohamed, Ph.D., P.Eng., chairman, Middle East Gate Holding (MEG), Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Director-at-Large: Katherine G. Hammack, Fellow ASHRAE, partner, Ernst & Young, Mclean, Va.
- Director-at-Large: Sarah E. Maston, P.E., CPMP, president, Green Footprints Commissioning Inc., Hudson, Mass.
- Director-at-Large: Chandra Sekhar, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, professor, Building Services, National University of Singapore, Singapore