The Brick Industry Association (BIA) has opened entries for its 2019 Brick in Architecture Awards, now celebrating 30 years as an architectural design competition featuring fired-clay brick. Entries are due by Oct. 31.
With a history of innovative and unusual design, all submissions must use clay brick as the project’s primary building material.
“We’re excited to showcase outstanding design that demonstrates brick’s virtually unlimited aesthetic freedom and sustainability,” says BIA President Ray Leonhard.
As the competition rules state, entrants must be either an architect or designer employed by an architectural, design-build or landscaping design firm. Any design team member may serve as the submitting architect and all team members who substantially contributed must be credited on the submission form.
Entries for the 2019 Brick in Architecture Awards will be judged by peers in December with Best in Class, Gold, Silver and Bronze winners announced in January 2020.
Eligible projects include any work of architecture completed since Jan. 1, 2014, in which new clay brick products comprise the predominant exterior building or paving material (over 50 percent) including face or hollow brick, building brick, thin brick, paving brick, glazed brick, structural glazed facing tile, new clay brick products in special shapes and/or a combination of any of these aforementioned units.
Entries must be submitted online in one or more of these categories:
- Education – K-12
- Education – Colleges & Universities (Higher Education) *
- Residential – Single Family
- Residential – Multi-Family
- Paving & Landscape Projects
- Historic Renovation**
- International (If project is located outside of the U.S., Canada or a U.S. Territory, it must be entered in this category)
* Includes residence halls & academic/administrative buildings **This does not need to meet the 50 percent or more new brick requirement but must have 50 percent or more brick renovated on the project.
BIA will publicize all winning projects through online promotions, press releases, a hosted winners brochure on Hanley Wood’s website for 12 months and all submitted projects will be posted to the online photo gallery.