Simpson Strong-Tie has introduced the H1.81Z hurricane tie, designed to provide connections between heavy engineered wood rafters and wall top plates. Developed and tested to provide lateral resistance during seismic events, the H1.81Z is also ideal for roofs with heavy snow loads or connections where there are higher load demands on the structure.
The H1.81Z provides homebuilders, roofing contractors and remodelers a solution for transferring loads from heavier laminated veneer lumber (LVL) roof systems and roofs subjected to higher snow loads.
The code-listed 1¾-inches wide H1.81Z connector also installs with half the number of nails that would be needed for two single-sided twist straps, and it features a ZMAX zinc finish to increase resistance to corrosion. Additional features of the H1.81Z include the following:
- Wider seat to fit 1¾-inch LVL rafters
- Ability to connect both side faces of the joist for better support
- Connector embossments to provide stiffness in crucial areas for improved performance
- Fastener holes sized to fit popular 0.148- by 1½-inch connector nails
- Flanges that can be installed facing inward or outward
- Adaptability — installation on either the outside or the inside of the wall is acceptable according to all LVL manufacturers’ installation instructions