The National Association of Homebuilders (NAHB) awarded AeroBarrier the 2018 Most Innovative Building Product and Best in Show. This year’s competition was competitive, receiving 324 entries for nine categories. A team of judges narrowed the 324 entries to 60 finalists. From the 60 finalists, the top award was Best in Show.
Amit Gupta, CEO of AeroBarrier says, “We are honored to be recognized for innovation. Overall, there were 60 product finalists, and to be awarded Best in Show is the result of five years of hard work, dedication, and research by our team. We are excited to see builders embrace the technology.”
AeroBarrier helps builders achieve energy efficiency standards, sealing the building envelope and reducing air leakage to almost zero.
For the category of Most Innovative Building Product, there were seven finalists, including products that improve wall systems and plumbing. The award defines innovation as a product that is either new, or has been changed, and would be deemed a game-changer in its product class. The finalists include:
- Comfort Block: Insulated wall system used to construct healthy homes.
- Phomi: Fireproof modified clay sandstone tile for wall cladding and flooring.
- SharkBite: EvoPEX Plumbing System, a push-to-connect rough-in plumbing solution for new construction.
- CertainTeed: Habito combines the benefits of old-fashioned plaster with the convenience of modern drywall.
- Savaria: Vuelift home elevators that maximize existing space with a clear hoistway and cab.
- ZipWall: a magnetic dust barrier door is self-closing, and can handle high traffic.
Receiving the top award, AeroBarrier is being called the most disruptive energy efficiency product. Mandalay Homes, an Arizona homebuilder, uses Aerobarrier on all new homes. Geoff Ferrell, chief technology officer at Mandalay Homes says, “AeroBarrier is the key for us building net-zero homes as a standard feature. Before AeroBarrier, it was not feasible or practical on a mass scale.” Mandalay Homes is an eight-time award recipient for innovation by the U.S. Department of Energy and builds ZERH certified homes.
Key points about AeroBarrier:
- AeroBarrier was used on The New American Home 2018, which achieved LEED Platinum certification and met the requirements for NGBS Emerald certification.
- AeroBarrier improves acoustics of a building area, by reducing outside noise, sealing holes as small as a hair follicle.
- AeroBarrier is GREENGUARD Gold certified.
- AeroBarrier helps meet the leakage requirements of ratings, standards, and codes such as LEED, Passive House, ZERH, and the 2015 IECC.