Schneider Electric has announced the availability of its Clinical Environment Optimization solution. Delivered as an application for Schneider Electric’s StruxureWare Building Operation software, the solution integrates hospitals’ clinical infrastructure with its facility infrastructure to drive innovation at every level of the organization and deliver opportunities for energy savings, staff productivity and patient satisfaction.
The Clinical Environment Optimization solution creates interoperability between a hospital’s building management system (BMS) and its clinical scheduling, housekeeping and admission, discharge and transfer systems. It shares the occupancy status of patient rooms and operating theaters with the hospital’s BMS through the Health Level-7 (HL7) interface. The BMS then sets rooms to predetermined set points for HVAC and lighting during vacancy to achieve energy savings during unoccupied times. The BMS puts the room back into normal operation when it receives a notification that the patient will be returning or when a room has been assigned to maintain the environment for patient healing and satisfaction.
Key benefits of the Clinical Environment Optimization solution include:
- Energy savings – Facility managers can reduce energy use in rooms that are vacant or unoccupied for long periods of time and make more informed decisions about how to best manage room conditions.
- Improved staff productivity – Maintenance and cleaning staff gain productivity by knowing when they can schedule work in patient rooms when rooms are unoccupied.
- Enhanced patient satisfaction – Patients have the ability to specify their preferred room temperature during the admission process or control it themselves from their room via a mobile app.
“Hospitals are one of the most energy intensive buildings as they operate on a 24/7/365 cycle and must follow lighting, heating and air quality/circulation codes. With budget constraints and increases in patient loads, hospitals have a need to improve efficiency, productivity and effectiveness across facilities,” says Michael Sullivan, vice president, Global Healthcare Solutions, Schneider Electric. “The Clinical Environment Optimization solution helps healthcare facilities make decisions about their energy use based on critical room occupancy data that previously hasn’t been used to its full potential.”
Additional features of the Clinical Environment Optimization solution include:
- User friendly interface which allows access to room status, reset or synchronize functionality
- Quick setup through configuration tool
- Ability to set preferred set points at time of patient registration
- Ability to set maximum light level for unoccupied rooms
- Fail-safe feature that allows facility managers to set rooms for patient comfort
- HIPAA compliance, as no patient-specific information is retained
- Support for multiple HL7 data sources with scheduling capability
- Support for single buildings, campuses or large enterprise-level healthcare networks
To learn more about Schneider Electric’s Clinical Environment Optimization solution, click here or contact your local Schneider Electric representative.