The Roofing Alliance, the foundation of the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA), has announced the Roofing Alliance Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship recipients for 2019-20.
Since 1986, the Roofing Alliance has invested time and funding not only to educate the roofing industry but also the industry’s youth through the Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship Program. Named for Melvin Kruger, a former NRCA president and CEO of L.E. Schwartz & Son Inc., Macon, Ga., the program is available to NRCA contractor and supplier members, their families and their employees who plan to pursue careers in the roofing or construction industries.
The Roofing Alliance awarded five Roofing Alliance Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarships to:
- Joseph Castellucia – Dan Cohen Scholarship, son of Joseph Castellucia, vice president, Chris Andersen Roofing Co., Hopelawn, N.J.
- Davis Edwards, son of Van Edwards, chief op officer, Midsouth Roof Systems, Forest Park, Ga.
- Matthew Killgore – OMG Scholarship, son of Charles Killgore, vice president, Delta Roofing & Sheet Metal, West Memphis, Ark.
- Morgan Patterson – OMG 2nd Scholarship, daughter of James Patterson, vice president procurement, Centimark Corp., Canonsburg, Pa.
- Calvin Raymore, son of Calvin Raymore, senior vice president of safety and risk, Centimark Corp., Canonsburg, Pa.
In addition, the Roofing Alliance renewed six Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarships to:
- Salvador Flores Garcia – Beacon Roofing Supply Scholarship, attending University of California: Berkeley, Berkeley, Calif.
- Elaina Krumholz – Fred Good Scholarship, attending the University of Minnesota; Twin Cities, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Sophia McGuire – William A. Good Scholarship, attending University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- Alyssa Merna – Firestone Scholarship, attending Olivet Nazarene University, Bourbonnais, Ill.
- John Paynter – Melvin Kruger Scholarship, attending East Carolina University, Greenville, S.C.
- Cameron Tickerhoff – Firestone Scholarship, attending Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
“A total of $30,000 was awarded for scholarship renewals,” states Josh Kelly, current president of the Roofing Alliance. “We also awarded $25,000 for five new scholarships for a total of $55,000 for the 2019-20 school year. To date for the Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship program we have awarded a total of 130 students who have received $845,000 in scholarship awards. We are very honored to give back to the next generation of roofing professionals in this way.”
Scholarship recipients are awarded $5,000 per year for up to four years of undergraduate study. Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic record; potential to succeed; leadership and participation in school and community activities; honors; work experience; a statement of career goals and aspirations; and an outside appraisal. Details for the 2020-21 Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship program and the application guidelines will be available in August of 2019.
For more information on the Roofing Alliance contact Bennett Judson, the Roofing Alliance’s executive director, at [email protected] or visit the website.