After a minor Staphylococcus aureus (staph) outbreak in another part of the school, district administrators discussed the possibility of employing visible light disinfection with lighting agent AMA Lighting in Dothan, Ala. AMA recommended the district install the Millenium Stretch LED luminaires from Kenall using Indigo-Clean Technology in the swimming pool locker room as a test.
With the installation now complete, the district is considering other areas where bacteria are of concern. Jerry Smith, the supervisor of maintenance for Bay District Schools, says, “We are currently looking at a few sights for Indigo Clean light fixtures. One is a newly added weight room and two are new school gym locker rooms. We will be monitoring the success of the lights by the number of staph infection cases or sickness we have at these particular schools.”
Mosely replaced existing fluorescent light fixtures, on a one-for-one basis, with MLHA8 luminaires from Kenall. In addition to the bacteria-killing benefits of Indigo-Clean Technology, the 4-foot-long linear LED luminaires have an IP64 rating to protect against the ingress of water, and its Peace of Mind Guarantee against breakage, making them ideal for a busy swimming pool locker room.
Smith concludes, “From what we have seen since the install, the light quality is better than the previous T12 system we had in place. We do believe by converting over to the Indigo-Clean fixtures in our sporting areas, we can have a safe sanitary environment for our kids.”
Millenium Stretch using ICT Features
- Sealed enclosure housings prevent the harboring of bacteria inside the luminaire
- Tamper-resistant fasteners prevent unauthorized entry
- Absence of sharp corners and ligature resistance features promotes student safety
- Polycarbonate lens prevents breakage
Benefits to Mosely High School
- Durable, cost-effective lighting
- Peace of Mind Guarantee on certain models: Kenall will repair or replace broken luminaires
- Indigo-Clean Technology works on-demand to kill harmful bacteria, including staph, such as MRSA, as well as molds and fungus