Be recognized by retrofit magazine for your outstanding work retrofitting commercial, industrial, institutional and residential buildings!
Submissions now are being accepted to enter our fifth-annual Metamorphosis Awards, honoring architects, designers and contractors for excellence in renovation, retrofits and more. If you would like to see what materials are required for the awards program, view the 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 winners.
Interested in entering but want to know the criteria first? All entrants are required to submit a Team list of key team members on the project, a Materials list of important materials used on the project, a brief narrative, a minimum of two “before” and five “after” photos, as well as photo credits.
- Entrants must be an architect, designer, contractor or another member of the design/construction team.
- Projects must be completed between Jan. 1, 2021, and July 14, 2023.
- New construction projects are not eligible.
- Projects must be built; on-the-boards drawings are not eligible.
- Projects previously published in retrofit or on www.retrofitmagazine.com are eligible for the Metamorphosis Awards.
- Each project is allowed to be entered into only one category. Choose the category that best fits your project.
- Entries must be anonymous. During the submission process, do not upload your narrative on company letterhead or include company logos on images/drawings. (Judges will not see team lists.)
- By submitting an entry, entrants acknowledge wording from applications and submissions may be used as submitted or in edited versions by retrofit staff.
- The cost per entry is $135.
- Whole Building: Interior and exterior building renovation/upgrade without changing the building’s program
- Historic: Project relied on historic tax credits and/or review by a historic preservation board
- Exterior: Exterior-only renovation/upgrade
- Interior: Interior-only renovation/upgrade
- Mixed Use: Enter a building that has been transformed into a mixed-use facility or share upgrades/renovations to an existing mixed-use facility
- Multifamily: Enter a building that has been transformed into a multifamily facility or share upgrades/renovations to an existing multifamily facility
- Adaptive Reuse: Buildings built for one purpose are retrofitted for a completely different use
- Addition: An addition that made a dramatic impact on an existing facility
- Residential: A unique single-family home that was not built as a home, such as a barn, commercial building, warehouse, etc.
- Wild Card (**NEW Category**): Has your project made a massive or creative improvement to a building, structure and/or neighborhood but doesn’t seem to fit into one of the other categories? This is the category for you!
A panel of your peers will evaluate each project on the success with which the project met its requirements. Judges will consider projects individually—not in comparison to others—and choose as many winners as they feel are deserving of winning. Judges’ decisions will be made in August. Only winners will be notified by early September, and winners will be announced on this page of our website.
- Think like a judge.
- Keep descriptions succinct but thorough. Focus on the best aspects of your project.
- Submit professional-quality AFTER photos. BEFORE photos do not have to be professional-quality.
- AFTER photos must be in JPG or TIF format, 300 dpi and 5×7 or larger. To be considered for the cover, images should be vertically oriented and framed to accommodate the magazine logo at the top.
- Complete the Materials list to the best of your ability. Please only include manufacturer names, not installers and/or distributors/wholesalers.
- Entries must be anonymous. During the submission process, do not upload your narrative on company letterhead or include company logos on images/drawings. (Judges will not see Team lists.)
Benefits for Award Winners
- An article in retrofit’s November-December 2023 Awards issue
- Exposure on retrofit’s website
- Press release for distribution
- Use of Metamorphosis Awards logo
Deadline to submit your award-worthy project: July 14, 2023, 11:59 p.m. ET
Click here for the online application. Questions? Contact Christina Koch, retrofit‘s editorial director, at (630) 308-4602 or [email protected].