The American Institute of Architects (AIA) is recognizing seven designs with its 2020 Small Project Awards. Complete details for each of the awarded projects can be reviewed on the AIA website.
Now in its 17th year, the AIA Small Project Awards program, established by the Small Project Design (SPD) Knowledge Community, recognizes small-project practitioners for the high quality of their work. The program also aims at raising awareness about the value and design excellence that architects can bring to projects, no matter their size or scope. Award recipients are categorized in three groups:
- Category 1 – Small project construction, an architectural object, work of environmental art or an architectural design element that costs up to $150,000 in construction.
- Category 2 – Small project construction that could cost up to $1,500,000 in construction.
- Category 3 – Small project construction, an architectural object, work of environmental art or an architectural design that is under 5,000 square feet.
The following are recipients of this year’s Small Project Awards by category:
- Unit 2808, Chicago, Vladimir Radutny Architects
- Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School Great Hall Renovation, Raleigh, N.C., tonic design
- Rossmore + Weldon, Los Angeles, Brooks + Scarpa
- Salvage Swings, Roosevelt Island, N.Y., Somewhere Studio, LLC
- Aesop DTLA, Los Angeles, Brooks + Scarpa
- XS House, Philadelphia, ISA
- Logan Center Kilnhouse, Chicago, Woodhouse Tinucci Architects