The Metal Building Manufacturers Association (MBMA) annually honors member companies that demonstrate performance in maintaining workplace safety. These awards are given to Building Systems members as well as Associate members for their performance during the previous calendar year. Safety awards for the 2018 year were presented at the 2019 MBMA Spring Meeting held in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
“We are committed to promoting workplace safety and these awards recognize those facilities that set an example for all of us,” says Jennifer Oblock, account executive for MBMA. “For our Building Systems members in 2018, 42 plant facilities participated in MBMA’s Quarterly OSHA Injury Statistics Program, logging nearly 12 million hours on the job. Our Associate member awards program, enacted in 2017, extends the focus on safety across the industry to our suppliers’ manufacturing facilities as well.”
MBMA members are dedicated to the safety of everyone who works in the metal building systems industry. As such, the organization is an advocate for safety programs that promote the well-being of everyone involved. “MBMA members strive to make the metal building industry a very safe place to build a career. The benefits to effective safety initiatives are many and include boosting employee morale, improving operations and mitigating insurance risks and exposure to OSHA audits. MBMA is pleased to recognize safety best practices through these awards,” Oblock says.
From the 42 manufacturing facilities nationwide that submitted data, seven awards were presented. MBMA’s award criteria stipulates that award recipient plants must have work-related accident and illness rates that are 50 percent or less than the OSHA-reported averages for the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Code 332311 (prefabricated metal building and component manufacturing) compared to the prior year. The four recipients of the 2018 Safety Performance Award achieved an incident rate of 1.55 or lower. The 2018 Superior Safety Award was bestowed upon the three plants that achieved zero recordable cases for the 12-month period, which is a significant accomplishment.
The Associate Member Awards went to four companies with facilities that achieved zero recordable cases for 2018, also a significant accomplishment.
Building Systems Member Awards
2018 Superior Safety Award – In recognition of having zero recordable incidents.
- Dean Steel Buildings – Cedartown, Ga.
- Dean Steel Buildings – Thomasville, Ga.
- Nucor Building Systems Inc. – Swansea, S.C.
2018 Safety Performance Award – In recognition of having achieved an incident rate equal to 50 percent or less than the industry average as reported by OSHA.
- BlueScope Buildings North America Inc. – Annville, Pa., Evansville, Wash., Visalia, Calif.
- NCI Building Systems Inc. – Atwater, CA
Associate Member Awards
- Bay Insulation Systems – Aurora, Colo.; Baton Rouge, La.; Brooklyn Heights, Ohio; Dallas; Easton, Pa.; Fresno, Calif.; Fridley, Minn.; High Point, N.C.; Houston; Memphis,Tenn.; Norcross, Ga.; Orlando, Fla.; Pensacola, Fla.; Phoenix, Ariz.; Raleigh, N.C.; Roanoke, Va.; San Marcos, Texas; Sumner, Wash.
- D.I. Roof Seamers – Corinth, Miss.
- PDL Building Products – Stockton, Calif., and North Olmsted, Ohio
- S-5! Manufacturing – Iowa Park, Texas